Tuesday, November 25, 2008

A Standardized Controller

This was one of those posts that has been sitting in my private slush pile for a long time. I kept pulling it down and trying to figure out what was missing or what the flaw was. On one level, claiming that all games should use the same control scheme seems like a perfectly reasonable argument to make. At the same time, there's the problem that this may inhibit game design. I use adventure games as an example of the diversity using the same setup can produce but that's also a medium that stagnated due to its failure to evolve in a way that attracted new comers and kept old fans happy.

As with anything in the slush pile, I gave up, gave it another linguistic polish, and posted the thing.


And wouldn't you know it, I'm already finding out the stuff I missed. Damn.

No comments: