Tuesday, October 20, 2009

ZA Critrique: Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor

A very kind favor to the BPM has made it so I have access to an I-pod Touch. It was stipulated that in exchange I start giving some air time to the games of my choosing on the little unit, so here we go.

So far most of the games seem to be a conceptualization of various ways of moving around space. Attempts to make more finite controls have all been unsuccessful from what I've tried, it's all just steering or moving an object about with finger motions. Which is certainly unique and I'm enjoying myself, I'm just uncertain what to think of it yet. The more games I play, the better feel and understanding I get, the better my analysis until it reaches the standards I hold myself to.

Spider: The Secret of Bryce Manor was a bit of an easy break though, because it's such a brilliant little game. Mostly a spatial puzzler in terms of design, what's interesting is how it builds in a very ambiguous plot on top of this. Score junkies will love the game because of the multiplier system and how tricky it can be to get the max score. People who like a little bit of story will be intrigued by the way your avatar is both apathetic to the game's world and also what a strange human story it reveals.

If you've got an I-phone or an I-pod touch, you really need to try this one.

No comments: